Monday 15 April 2013

15.04.13 - library workshop - margaret kilgallen

Today I had a nice and early 9:30 library meeting to go through a collection of books/ zine that could help our project.
On the table was a book all to do Margaret Kilgallen.
"Margaret Leisha Kilgallen (October 28, 1967 – June 26, 2001) was a San Francisco Bay Area artist. Though a contemporary artist, her work showed a strong influence from folk art. She was considered a central figure in the Bay Area Mission School art movement."
That pretty much sums her up, I had heard of her with her work with Barry Magee a few years ago,so was aware of her but had never really looked into her more.
I found a lovely quote from her that goes;
"I like things that are handmade and I like to see people's hand in the world, anywhere in the world; it doesn't matter to me where it is. And in my own work, I do everything by hand. I don't project or use anything mechanical, because even though I do spend a lot of time trying to perfect my line work and my hand, my hand will always be imperfect because it's human. And I think it's the part that's off that's interesting, that even if I'm doing really big letters and I spend a lot of time going over the line and over the line and trying to make it straight, I'll never be able to make it straight. From a distance it might look straight, but when you get close up, you can always see the line waver. And I think that's where the beauty is."

I loved the way her work was block colour a d quite graphic but yet still kept her drawing style and feeling through it, such a hard mix to combine together.
Definitely her pattern work in her sketchbooks (last two photographs) made me really excited with shape, tone and colour.













No comments:

Post a Comment