Thursday 21 November 2013

21.11.13 - Poetry Books on the Market





In a effort to research more into what my target audience might be looking into, i decided to take a look into the best selling poetry book list for 2013.

Love and misadventure - Lang Leav

This was 7th in the amazon list, losing first place to a range of… eerrmm dog poetry, which i didn't really even feel like including.

I will be honest, this is not my taste, in poetry or in illustrations.
I find the illustrations manga like and dated and not in a good way and the poetry a bit dull.

If this is an example of whats on the market, I'm glad its my competition.








Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings

shel silverstein

This piece, by Shel Silverstien, i understand a lot more. Even though whenever i see a black and white illustration i immediately want to colour it in, this has thought to it.
I can see humour and composite have been taken into account along with the story line of the poem its been integrated with.
Its still quite far away from what i would have as my target audience though.



The Odyssey

Homer

This, would be as close as i could get to what my target audience would be reading.
And sadly, these books have absolutely no illustrations, they are 100% completely text based. 
I think this actually works out great for me as I'm looking into something extremely visual without any real visuals. I genuinely feel like i could fill a gap on the market.

Syliva Plath
Ariel
Sylvia Plath is a well know and widely collection poet who's work I've seen get a lot of press reguraly and is constantly in print with different versions being made all the time.
This particular version of a short story i found was extremely different to all the others and stood out to me with its hand made feeling.




These illustrated poems i found on the faber website. Faber is the publishing house who published "tales from ovid" the book i have been looking into in this whole project.
These are the first development i have found where the artwork is getting as much respect as the text.
Beautiful colours, still very graphic feeling though, not yet to find a drawing, visual balance.


This book cover was also found on the Faber and Faber website.
I thought it would be productive to look into other book covers the writer of tales of Ovid has had.
There seems to be an overwhelming theme of prints going on today….

Update Soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment